Thursday, March 5, 2009

Swim #5; 45-min Ride; NDC dance night

Today's swim was 2,500m straight at a perceived 75–80%. I finished the 2,500m in 44:28. This was 34 seconds faster than Feb. 17's time of 45:02.
  • 7:58 (I might have missed 50m here) (last time: 10:01, but I added 50m)
  • 8:59 (last time: 8:32, but I missed 50m)
  • 9:12 (last time: 9:35)
  • 9:10 (last time: 7:33, but I missed at least 100m)
  • 9:04 (1:51, 1:51, 1:50, 1:50, 1:43) (last time: 9:26; 1:52, 1:53, 1:52, 1:52, 1:47)
  • Average of 8:52 per 500 (last time: average of 9 minutes)
So for both times I've done this swim, I've ended up at least 50m short or right on. Either way, they likely have been the same distance, and today's was 34 seconds faster, an average of 1.4 seconds faster per hundred or 8 seconds faster per 500. I'm VERY happy with this result!

The 100m time difference (1.4 sec) is almost negligible. However, the consistency of my 500m times (including the first: 1:06 variance; minus the first: 13 seconds variance) is encouraging compared to last times (including all: 2:30 variance, but I don't know that I can really count any but the 3rd and 5th, between which there was 9 seconds variance).

I had my bike with me and it was nice outside, so I took a 45–50-min bike ride that was super windy. I still managed to average 16.5 mph over the I think 13 miles. I was then supposed to do 10×10 sec manual holds, 3 sets, and I managed to do only glute ham raise (reps to arm's length). I did the first set of lunge with Russian lunge and really wasn't doing it right or well, so I didn't finish. After glute ham raise, I did 1 set of push ups (supposed to be on feet; I was on knees) and really wasn't doing it right or well, so I didn't finish. Then I just quit. That actually turned out to be a good thing, because I would have been late to my appointment....

Anna was asked to go to a dance lesson at the National Dance Club in Nashville and wanted someone to go with her. So I tagged along. I thought it was going to be ballroom, but it ended up being the basics of waltz (which means "glide," our instructor Blake informed us; 3/4 time, right back, left side, together, left up, right side, together), rumba (4/4 time, slow, quick, quick with similar steps to the waltz), and push-pull swing (4/4 time, right step, left step, right rock step, left step). That mini class was for Anna, Jolynn, me, Sam (another instructor), Bailey, and Mac and lasted about 45 minutes. There were other people there for lessons, as well, I'd guess around 30–35 total including instructors (of whom I met Blake, Sam, Preston, Steven, Dustin, David, and Nicole). They were all really friendly.

Then they put music on, dimmed the lights, and said they had a "no rejection" policy. There were tons of instructors, all who are pros, so there was always someone to dance with, but since we'd only learned the basic steps, that's all we did. But, for visiting, we get to go back for a private lesson with the instructor.

The atmosphere in that dance studio was really neat. All the instructors seem to love their jobs, and they make it easy to learn (at least the basic steps). Plus they always clapped after each song, and at the very end we made a circle around two people who showed us the fox trot, tango, and push-pull swing with a few more moves thrown in. I'll be going back next Tuesday for my private lesson with Blake; it should be interesting to see what I've retained and what I can learn!

No comments: