Saturday, March 7, 2009

Bike Ride; TT Tie

The first ride of the day was 1:04:51, 17.80 miles, 17.3mph average.


It was windy but a comfortable temperature,



but it was not nearly as windy as it has been in Hawaii! At least according to Mom and Bree, the wind has been ridiculous--as in they were worried they were going to fall off their bikes!


This weather report doesn't show that, though, which makes me feel better about the relatively slow average.

The elevation report shows that there were not many climbs; I avoided climbing Lynwood Way because I really didn't want to. Plus the second ride of the day is a time trial and I didn't want to totally wear myself out!


Franklin Rd/Mack Hatcher/some road/Hillsboro/Cottonwood/Del Rio/Franklin Rd

The second ride of the day was a time trial on a Compu-Trainer at the downtown Y. There were supposed to be at least 5 of us, but it ended up being Lisa, Grant, and me because Jenny and the other guy couldn't make it. Lisa's goal was to finish under 9 minutes; I really had no idea what to expect and my goal was to beat her.

We warmed up for about 10 minutes while Todd calibrated everything, stopped, and then began from a dead stop.

It was 3 miles, with a slight uphill and then a good downhill to start; I'd classify the whole thing as rolling to hilly. We could see where each rider was, what our place was, and how far ahead of or behind the other riders we were. Lisa and I stayed within about 6 feet of each other the whole time, basically just going back and forth with the lead. You could draft if you wanted to, but I really tried not to and yelled at Lisa the one time she got in my draft. I wasn't working with her on anything; this was a race!

When we got close to the end of the course, it was an all-out sprint to the finish. I finished in 8:22.95. Lisa finished in 8:22.95. Yes, we tied. Unbelievable. I think we surprised the crowd cheering us on, and we definitely worried Grant, who thought we might stay with him!
  • Average heart rate: around 170–180
  • Average power output: 227. I don't train with power at all and don't really know the first thing about it, but evidently higher is better. When Lisa does group Compu-Trainer time trials or tests, she's usually the only one over 200 in average power output
  • Average mph: 21.5
  • Perceived effort: 100%
This was definitely a hard, hard race. I was pretty much spent at the end, but it was good, accomplished kind of spent.

No comments: