Monday, March 30, 2009

So Much for A Day Off

We worked out today on my suggestion, even though it's supposed to be a recovery day/day off. But since I must swim in the mornings on Tuesday/Thursday so that I get a lane that I don't have to share with 4 other people, Will agreed to get up early to make me work hard. He succeeded.

The last time we worked out, he determined that I relax (unintentionally!) when I stand up, and it really showed up today during the 1-leg squats.
  • Lunge R, L: Usually I stand up all the way for the 5 seconds off and then lunge again to start the next interval, but I had to stay in close-to-the-lunge position the whole time (with the front shin perpendicular to the ground, which is supposed to keep my torso erect. My right quad failed and when that happened I kept trying to lean forward, especially when I stood.
  • 1-leg squat: Again, when I got tired, I leaned forward to stand up and put a lot of weight on my front foot, which meant I leaned one way. The way to fix that is to use the back foot and leg to help me stand, not just the front foot. Basically, I shouldn't have all my weight on one leg. I did a lot better about keeping my back leg/knee straight, though, and not bowing out.
  • Glute ham: OK, Will said, "Think crate crunch" on this one. Or basically, use your adductor muscles. My hamstrings are what I'm feeling right now, so maybe I did it right after he said that?
  • Push up: The first 6 were on my feet, and the last half of each of the last 2 was on my knees. I probably could have held myself with my arms, but my legs were failing and I was trying to compensate by putting my elbows out.
  • Preacher curl: For this one, he said to think about reaching the opposite wall to lengthen the biceps. I think I can remember that. Oh, and keep driving my sternum up, which I thought I was doing; evidently I wasn't or when I got tired I was doing so less.
Having someone push me definitely makes me work harder, and it will be interesting to note whether I see improvement in speed after a month of working out with Will instead of just on my own.

No comments: