Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Bricks

In keeping with the "easy" theme for the week, I did the 45-minute ride and 15-minute run but not really at my maximum effort. It wasn't necessarily easy, but I could have made it worse and didn't.

The 45-minute ride was on a simulator bike at the Y. The first route, called the Wicked Workout because of the hills, was 7.93 miles and took just 32:37. My average power output was 187 watts. Although that doesn't really mean anything to me, I can compare it to my average output from the 3-mile TT this weekend, which was 227. That was an all-out race, 21+ mph average speed, and giving it everything for 8:22. This was not the same. The second route, called the Coastal Run, was 3.42 miles and took me 11:59. My average power output was 187 watts, and I actually tried to stay between 175 and 200 the whole time, so that's pretty much perfect! That adds up to just under 45 minutes, but I warmed up a little before that.

Then I quickly headed down to the track (14 times around for 1 mile) for the 15-minute run. I really wanted to do 2 miles. I can remember the days when I would have maybe completed 1.5 miles in 15 minutes, and I wanted to prove to myself that I'm getting faster. The half-mile splits were 3:49, 3:37, 3:37, and 3:24. Mile 1: 7:26; Mile 2: 7:01. Total time for 2 miles: 14:27! I did one lap slowly to finish off the 15 minutes, but I did it and it felt great. I don't know whether I'd be able to keep up that pace (7:14 per mile) for 13+ miles, but I'm sure going to try my hardest on Saturday.

No comments: