Tuesday, March 17, 2009

2. Signs, Wonders, and Prophecy Today

  1. Charismatic Chaos Book Review, Based on the Bible

  2. Signs, Wonders, and Prophecy Today

    If you have a few minutes, watch this movie (with a grain of salt, please!):

    http://www.propheticmedia.com/video/video_email_media/2009/3_11_09_Weblist_PatriciaKing_KingdomLife.mp4

    After the race on Saturday, I started coming down with a cold (surprise, surprise, given the weather). Yesterday, I was talking to Will and he was telling me all I had to do was to speak positively and rebuke the cold in the Name of Jesus; he said that's what he does and then he doesn't get sick. I was pretty much speechless.

    He said this, too (text, so it's word for word): "Hey, I wanted to reemphasize that not only from a spiritual perspective but simply from a scientific perspective, your words and thoughts actually change what's happening in your body! Pretty cool really...if you take advantage of it!" Do you think he thought I was skeptical? :-)

    Then I got home and he'd sent me the link above and later directed me to Proverbs 18:21: "Life and death are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruit."

    Although we didn't discuss this, from this correspondence and my synopsis of the book, the major concern I have is that many charismatics (I'm stereotyping here for convenience's sake) do not believe the truth about God's sovereignty. I know our prayers are vital and can "make God change His mind" (so to speak...), but He has His will that He predetermined before the foundation of the world. I think they think their words carry the weight of God's words, hence why they think they can heal every sick person and raise the dead and perform the other signs and wonders that the apostles could (even though those signs and wonders are not replicated outside the specific times when God was revealing His Word that is the closed canon). As you'll see (or have seen) in the video, they think that God is still revealing His word and that the canon is not closed--the "revelations" and "visions" and "prophecies" they receive are to be taken as Scripture.

    This worries me because it's not true! The Bible is His Word is His Word is His Word. Yes, God still speaks to us today, but not in such a way as to reveal more Scripture; rather it is to teach us more about Himself to draw us into a closer relationship with Him. It is not to make ourselves greater by performing "healing miracles" and then asking for money (cf. the movie again); rather it is to make Him greater and to make ourselves become less (John 3:30). If you think He's still revealing His Word, and you "hear" something that is different than what is in the Bible, how will you ever know which "word" to follow?

    Deuteronomy 4:2 You shall not add to the word which I command you, nor take from it, that you may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

    Deuteronomy 12:32 Whatever I command you, be careful to observe it; you shall not add to it nor take away from it.

    Proverbs 30:6 Do not add to His words, lest He rebuke you, and you be found a liar.

    Revelation 22:18 For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book.

    Erwin Lutzer, pastor of Moody Church in Chicago, taught on a similar theme recently. In his message An Extraordinary Authority #3 of 3, which I heard on podcast, he talked about a time when he was asked about whether God speaks through prophets today. He responded to that question with this:
    The issue isn't whether God speaks; He can speak whenever He wishes to. But I don't believe that He would, because after the sun comes out, there is no need for another star. All stars fade into oblivion; the sun has come! And now you want me to believe that somehow there is a star out there that we need for light?
  3. Signs, Wonders, and Prophecy in Jesus' Time

No comments: