Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The bricks are getting easier, and that makes me all the more excited for the actual season to start. I went at lunch to finish yesterday's weight workout:
  • Wall squat: 45-lb weight on chest. This did not feel like enough weight. Before this week's note about how to hold the weight, I'd been using 25–30 lb dumbbells.
  • Glute ham: no weight
  • Standing extreme ham: 35-lb plate on chest. Again, for this, which was supposed to be as heavy as you can handle for the whole time, this did not feel like enough weight for a good stretch on the hamstrings. The problem is that I can't hold that much weight!
  • 1-leg squat: 35-lb plate. This time I was really focused on lengthening my quads so my knee didn't hurt, and I succeeded.
  • Curl: 40-lb bar
Then I rode 45 minutes hard on the trainer. At 20, it was 5×30-second sprints on 5 minutes. After a quick 20-second transition, it was off to the 15-minute run. I held a sub-7–min per mile pace for the first 7:26. My goal was to go as hard as I could for as long as I could and then slow down slightly if I had to. I did, but if I can keep going faster for longer, eventually I'll be able to hold that pace for a 5K and then a 10K (Olympic distance).

No comments: