Thursday, July 30, 2009

Parking Lot Progress; Muggy Ride

Here's where I am in my parking lot project:


I'm making progress toward my goal of parking in every available spot! (See May 20's log for my only other log; I don't remember when I started.)

Lunchtime workout today:
  • 10×10 bench press, bar only: I took about 15 seconds rest between each one. Last time, I stood up and took at least 30 second. Around set 4, I wanted to see someone who I could ask to spot me. But then I decided no way; I was going to do this whole thing right and without help. And I did. Oh, that felt so good!
  • 10×10 rebound curl, light bar: Drop bar by pulling hands away quickly; drive back up THROUGH the bar to top. I think I succeeded on this one, but it didn't feel much different than altitude drop curl. Hm. Also, I think maybe I can move from the no-weight light bar to another light bar—like one with weight!
  • 10×10 @ 10 seconds rest lunge on crates: Do all on one leg, then switch legs. I was looking at a clock, so I know I did the 10 seconds rest correctly. I was on the aerobics classes steps propped up with one level beneath each one, which seemed to work well. My knee never touched the ground, but I know I got a deeper stretch on the steps. I tried to really focus on making each one the same or faster/better than the one before.
  • 10×10 @ 5 seconds rest squat with 5-lb plate extended in front at arm's length: The hardest part of this one was holding the 5 pounds. Ah! My arms were seriously shaking. I did the first 2 and my HR spikes, so I took 30 seconds rest. Then I remembered that Will says your heart rate will always level off somewhere, so I did the remaining 8 sets correctly. They weren't as fast as I've done before (with no weight), but they were as fast as I could go and I was really trying to focus on being fast and using my glutes to pull down. I took my HR after the last one and it was somewhere around 180. Nice.
I rode after work and even though I got to the Y at 4:20, I didn't get on my bike until 5:15. First, I had to change my front tire's tube because the tube had a slow leak. Well, I had brought a tube from home so I didn't have to use my spare and put that in to fix it. I seated it, pumped it up, went to get my water bottles so I could fill them, and BANG! Yep, there went my tire. So, I loaded up my bike and drove over to Allanti; I had to buy a new tube and just let the mechanic put it in. He said that if you use the tire removal tools to put your tire back on, you're likely to pinch a hole in the tube that will cause it to flat. Good to know!

Today I was supposed to ride 55 minutes in Z2, 25 minutes in Z4, and 10 minutes in Z2. I really tried to follow that today, and the HRM shows that I was focused on it.
  • Totals: 1:27:54; 26.36 miles; 18.0 mph; 1,571 calories; 151 HR
  • Lap 1 warm up: From MFY to just before Johnson Chapel Road W; 55 minutes; 16.71 miles; 18.2 average; 146 HR
  • Lap 2 anaerobic: From Johnson Chapel Road W to loop around Belle Rive, Granny White, Murray, and back to the stoplight at Belle Rive/Granny White; 25 minutes; 7.64 miles; 18.6 average; 166 HR
  • Lap 3 cool down: back to the Y via Virginia Way; 8 minutes; 2.01 miles; 14.6 average; 150 HR
Although not the fastest ride I have had, this is a very hilly route and it was quite windy today. The weather report currently says winds are at 4 mph and that's going down over the next couple hours, so I'm guessing it was around 8 mph when I was out. Total elevation gain was around 1,300 feet.

No comments: