Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Oh, Boy; More Swim Work Ahead

Today, Bree mentioned that she had to do a set of 6×400 on 5 minutes and she was actually getting some rest. Yesterday, I did one 500 in 6:44. So much for my thinking I'd be able to keep up with the big girls in a race! How can I cut 2 minutes off a 500? Perhaps I'd better get into Master Swimming sooner rather than later.

Here's the progress I'm making on my parking lot project (parking in every space except the handicap and pregnant mothers' spots):

Red: I've parked there; Blue: I can't park there

I wish I could remember when I started. I could count the spots, but if I leave during the day and come back (like for lunch), I can park in a different spot, so that wouldn't be the most accurate count.

Today's brick was so good! Even though I'm supposed to do a 45-minute ride, I like my 18-mile route and like timing myself to see how much faster I'm getting. Today's ride was no different. I did the 17.97 miles in 54:30 for an average of 19.7 mph. The last two times I did the route it was 17.71 and it was in 55:48 (5-13) and the week before was 56:56. Then I hopped off my bike, threw on my shoes, and was back out within 38 seconds. I made it 40 seconds farther this week than last week since I hit last week's finish line at 29:20. Another reason for celebrating!

Then I did a fun quick workout. I actually already felt really loose and therefore really good. It was 6 6 6 EDI with 10-second ISOs:
  • Lunge with Russian lunge: I was in front of a mirror and therefore really trying to lift both legs and pop back into the ground. My knee never hit the ground, and I tried to make sure I turned my muscles on at the bottom to keep from hitting.
  • Glute ham with reps to the top
  • Squat with light bar
  • Push up on feet: I did the last 6 on my knees because I couldn't push up any more.
  • Standing curl with altitude drop for each EDI rep
  • Scapular pull up: I used 50 lbs of assistance but did all the reps.
  • Crate crunch
It felt great!

My lunchtime entertainment today was fabulous. I went over to Jack in the Box because I'd eaten my lunch at 10:30 and was still hungry. The delivery truck driver, in a 53-foot semi, had come earlier than usual and was there with the lunch crowd. He couldn't get where he wanted to go and then couldn't get out. I was there maybe 20 minutes, and he hadn't made any progress moving anywhere in the parking lot. One guy who was really nice volunteered to help him get out, and I think it was helping slightly, but it was still amusing!

Jack in the Box in Donelson

No comments: