Monday, May 18, 2009

A Few Fun Poems and Pro Triathletes

Today is a fun day. No workouts, no training, just working my day job and relaxing. So here is some fun reading from Ravi Zacharias, one of my favorite teachers and a fantastic Christian apologist.
Love is like an onion:
You taste it with delight,
But when it’s gone, you wonder
Whatever made you bite.

Love is a funny thing:
Just like a lizard,
It curls up ‘round your heart
And then jumps into your gizzard.

Love is swell, it’s so enticing;
It’s orange gel, it’s strawberry icing;
It’s chocolate mousse it’s roasted goose;
It’s ham on rye, it’s banana pie;
Love’s all good things, without a question;
In other words, it’s indigestion.



Slippery ice, very thin,
Pretty girl, tumbles in
Saw a boy on the bank.
Gave a shriek, then she sank.
Boy on hand heard her shout,
Jumped right in, pulled her out.
Now she’s his; very nice,
But she had to break the ice.

My Monday activity, my rule where I have to do something with someone, was to visit the triathlon shop here in Franklin, Endurance Sports and Rec. I hadn't yet been in the shop because I know that I could spend tons of money there; I'd rather not tempt myself. Today, however, was a special event: six pro triathletes were there for a little Q&A/Get-to-know-you session. They were Dan Hugo (South African with a sweet accent), Jamie Whitmore (amazing number of wins and very positive despite health problems; check out her blog!), Mike Vine, Emma Garrard, Will Kelsay (his passion for tris was evident), and Craig Evans (local guy who works 60+ hours a week and still wins). They are all pro XTerra triathletes, all successful, and gave great advice.

Dan Hugo, Jamie Whitmore, Mike Vine, Emma Garrard, Will Kelsay, and Craig Evans

One memorable thing Jamie said was, "Train your weakness, and race your strength." They had a lot of good stuff to say about training (use a Garmin or HRM or PowerTap [if money allows, it's really helpful on the bike], vary your routes), transition (plan everything out, think about what you're going to do as you're getting out of the water and getting off your bike [put glasses in helmet because it's one less movement], practice, practice, practice), succeeding (even when it hurts, just think that it will be over in a few minutes), and lots more.

The small crowd that was there to listen and learn

Tomorrow is a short run from the shop that I'm going to try to make it to. How could I not run with pros when they're right in my backyard?

No comments: