Saturday, May 23, 2009

A Full Morning

I'm really beginning to like Saturday's workouts. Today was less than I'd been expecting after last week's 4.5 hours, and it was only 3 hours on the bike followed by 30 minutes on the feet. I got in 52 miles in the 2:58 I was on the road.

The route, which looks short here but my bike computer says about 52 miles

Unfortunately my HRM wasn't working unless I was really at 90 bpm the entire time. It came back into play about 10 minutes from the end, which was perfect; I was supposed to ride in Z4 for the next 5 minutes and then get the HR back down to Z2 for the remaining 5 minutes. It lasted about 30 seconds, if even that. As I was finishing, I decided to hit the elliptical trainer for the 30-min run. I knew that if I went outside I wouldn't run as fast as I could because my legs were tired. So I forced myself to work hard on the equipment.

Then I had to finish yesterday's 3×30 second heavy:
  • Lunge: heavy bar only. Since I was doing this after 3.5 hours of work, I decided not to add weight to the bar. I did not have to drop the bar at all, so it was definitely not as heavy as possible. In fact, none of these yesterday or today probably was.
  • Push up: 45-lb plate, all on feet. This one felt hard but really good.
  • Preacher curl: 30-lb bar
  • Crate crunch: 45-lb plate
A few things of note from the morning:
  • I drank 3.5 total water bottles during the ride, ate a serving each of almonds and dried banana chips, had a Luna bar, and had 2 electrolyte capsules. I had oatmeal with honey, cocoa, and a banana for breakfast at 6am and started riding at 7:35. I was starving by 8:22 and started eating the bar then, but I just had a few bites of it as I continued along.
  • On Peytonsville/Trinity Lane, two dogs on the left side of the road ran with and barked at me for about 0.1 miles, but they never crossed the road. I was ready with my open water bottle and would have sprayed them if I'd have needed to.
  • At Judge Jerry Fly Park, I stopped to refill my water bottles. There was a girls' fastpitch softball tournament going on, and I wanted to stop and watch!
  • On N. Chapel road, I nearly got hit head-on by a guy in a red truck. I was less than a foot from the white line on the right side of the road. He was less than 3 feet from me and probably only saw me because I said, "WOAH!"
  • At the Y, I watched some guy do push ups and move only his shoulders and back a little. Will had been telling me a few weeks ago that I was doing the same thing, and I now know what it looks like and what I should do to make it right!
  • While on the elliptical, I found NCAA softball and watched a few innings. Woohoo!
As I'm writing this, I have an apartment full of college-age kids—5 girls and a guy—who are here as a band to play at Rocketown in downtown Nashville.

This is my living room with Danielle, Bekah, Ashley, Eunice, Nick, Hannah, and Kara all set up!

Tonight was a fun night. The kids (I call them kids for lack of a better descriptor; it's more or less what I call myself, too) went out to the pool for a while and I got to catch up with Mike and Eunice a little. Then we just sat around chatting, had some pizza and ice cream, and Mike, Eunice, and Nick left. I was going to head to bed around 9 but the girls were all still awake, so we sat in the living room talking for a few hours. It was so nice to be able to chat with a bunch of girls who love the Lord but who are still learning like I am. I learned a little about each of them
  • Danielle is at TCC for social work; she ran XC in high school and would like to continue if it fits into her schedule.
  • Bekah loves basketball and wants to play at the community college she'll be at for nursing next year.
  • Ashley is the youngest, and she's pregnant but having and keeping the baby, staying home with him/her for at least a year.
  • Kara is the only full-time stylist at the salon she works at and would like to go back to school for something (she doesn't know what).
  • Hannah is in school for sociology and is studying and loves Russian and Russian history.
It was another late night, but it was a great opportunity to mutually encourage one another in the faith.

No comments: