Monday, May 25, 2009

Oops! Race Woes :-)

This Monday is a holiday, so this morning I did a 5K race in Nashville since I didn't have to work (so much for my starting Mondays as days off, but I didn't do everything yesterday so it's OK). The race started at Greer Stadium, home of the Nashville Sounds (the Milwaukee Brewers' AAA team)...

Registration at Greer Stadium

...and ended in the Nashville City Cemetery (the proceeds go toward renovation and upkeep to the cemetery). I don't know Nashville, and that was more obvious today than any other day. I'm trying to get the whole warm-up thing down, so I decided to warm up before the race. I turned onto the course and saw the 1-mile marker. I had a little time before the race so decided to run the rest of the course. It would be good to now where the hills were and then I could look around beforehand and not get distracted during the actual race.

That actually worked well—I could look around Fort Negley and the Adventure Science Center and the cemetery before and then not have to think about it later; I could just focus on the race. However, I didn't know that the race was a point-to-point race. When I got to the finish line the first time, I could see the stadium but wasn't sure how to get back to it. I asked a lady there who directed me to the street and said turn right and then right again. So I hit the road running, made it back in time to use the bathroom before the gun went off, and then since I was already in the back I had to fight to make my way up toward the front. But then I just pushed myself the whole way and ran very consistent 7:25s. I missed the first mile split (even though I knew where the mile marker was), but my next and final splits were 14:52 and 8:06.

Some guy (Nathan, I found out later) was really consistent on the uphills so I found his feet and let him pull me up. Another guy (Mike, I found out later), was right behind me the whole time pushing me to go faster (I could hear him breathing down my neck). When I got to the finish time the final time, my time was 22:58. I ended up 5th in my age group, the 13th overall female, and 72nd overall (of 19, 135, and 328 total, respectively). I did not win my age group or really even come close (the AG winner's time was 21:04), but I did win the best prize of the day: $100! The information on Active.com, which many people must have neglected to read, said that there was a cash prize for the person with the best patriotic outfit. I decided to go all out (for me, that is) since it was such an easy thing to do and it had a great pay off if I could win, and I did!

In front of Fort Negley in my red, white, and blue winning outfit—thank you, Endurance Sports and Rec!

I'd like to go back to Fort Negley some day to read through the historical stuff. Maybe when we go for the Sounds game in a couple weeks I'll try to get there early.

After the race I went over to the MFY to stretch a bit, use the roller things (which I hate because it's so boring just rolling on the ground; I don't really feel it in my muscles so I don't know it's benefit for me), and then lay at the pool for the Memorial Day pool party. I love watching kids swim!

The band (Stassis Dei) was playing at Rocketown today, so then I headed downtown to listen. They didn't play until almost an hour after I'd arrived, so I sat outside reading for a bit.

Danielle (bass), Bekah (electric, voice), Ashley (drums), Kara (voice), Hannah (keyboard), and Nick (keyboard/guitar/voice)

Sorry for the picture quality. Eunice was taking pictures, too, and I didn't want to be in the way or annoying or anything. They sounded really good and I was glad I made the time to go watch them.

No comments: