Friday, May 1, 2009

Storms...Thus No Swimming (toes)

I guess I feel safe knowing that the Ys close the pools if it's raining and lightening, but it sure puts a damper on training (I called 2 and both pools were closed). So, due to the storms today, there was no straight 3,000. I'll try it next week, since I can't really put flippers on anyway.

I did ride, though, 1 hour on the trainer on my back porch while I watched the rain. At 15 minutes, it was 2×5 minutes in Z4 @ 3 min spin. I got my HR up to 160–170 during those intervals. I doubt that's Z4 but I could not get it up any higher. It was between 140 and 142 for the rest of the ride.

Here's my setup

Here's the view from my aero bars...through the trees beyond the blue van is a road, so if I need a distraction (which I'm learning not to need) I can be the nosy neighbor, watching who's coming and going

The next few pictures are for the "nasty!" record. This is what happens to some endurance athletes and is now nearly a week after the marathon.

Blisters on the inside of my left foot, under my big toe nail (enhanced in the next picture) and under my third toe nail. I'll likely lose the big one and perhaps the other one as well.

Most people's nail is directly against the skin. I measured it and now after having been draining the blister for 2 days, I still have an extra 3/16-in. protuberance and haven't worn shoes all week (hello, flip flops at work!)

No comments: