This morning was the Maryland Farms Firecracker 5K, and my goal was to run it in 21:59. I had previously run this in 23:49 (2007) and 23:29 (2008), and I had previously run my fastest 5K (Hoover Run, 2008) in 22:30. The truth is that I didn't think I'd make it, especially on this course, but that's what I was aiming for.
I rode a good 1:20 on the trainer prior to the race, and a good 40 minutes immediately after the race.
Then I jumped on the start line at 6:55, just in time for the National Anthem.
- Mile 1: Slightly more downhill than uphill, but not flat. 7:00. 1.01 miles, 6:55 pace.
- Mile 2: Rolling hills (rolling hills are definitely different for running than riding). 7:14. 1.02 miles, 7:04 pace.
- Mile 3+: at least 0.25 miles are uphill (I measured on my bike last week) and there's not much relief from downhills. 7:55. 1.10 miles, 7:12 pace.
- Finish: 22:10. 11 seconds behind my goal. However, it was a PR by 20 seconds and a course best for me by 1:19!
Stats from the previous Firecracker 5Ks:
- 2007: 23:49. 8 of 51. 276/1228 overall.
- 2008: 23:29. 6 of 51. 231/1105 overall.