Thursday, June 4, 2009

Ride in Florida, Altitude Drops

Having been on vacation since last Friday, I've gotten so far behind in blogging. I'll have to catch up later and post-date everything. But to bring you up to speed, I traveled all day Friday (did 5 on, 10 off thru 30 lunge before I left), probably took Saturday off to travel and get settled (although I'm sure we walked some), raced on Sunday (11th o'all female, 3rd in age, 4th fastest female on the bike), took off Monday, ran 7 miles (1 h) Tuesday and did 3-minutes extreme slow lunge, standing ham, wall squat, push up, curl with light bar, and crate crunch), took off Wednesday for a much-needed 2-hour nap, and am on today. Today was a 1 h ride (I rode 5.68 miles to the Y and back and then went through part of Saturday's race course. At the Y, first I met Ted who came to talk to me because he said I looked fit. Then I did 50 altitude drops with a 2-second pause at the bottom of each rep.
  • Lunge
  • Glute ham: I thought I'd found a glute ham stand, but I've since been told it's a back extension stand. They're almost the same, except that the glute ham stand is parallel to the ground, not angled. I'll keep looking.
  • Push up on knees: I did the majority only half way up, but I did a few all the way (maybe 15 or 20). Maybe I didn't do these correctly. I'm pretty sure now that altitude drop push ups are where you start kneeling and then drop down onto a mat and catch yourself with your hands. I sure didn't do that because I was using the feet things of a pull up bar as if I would have been using benches. So, I'm not really sure what I did.
  • Curl with light bar
Some other guy came up to talk to me after I finished the curl because he wanted to know what I was doing. I'm sure it does look weird to see someone purposely dropping the bar. I was in front of a mirror for the first and last ones, so I was really focused on staying straight up on the lunge and dropping down as fast as possible and on pulling my hands away as quickly as possible on the curl. I had to repeat at least 4 because I just wasn't going fast enough to satisfy myself.

No comments: