Monday, June 29, 2009

Communication is so Important!

Monday is supposed to be my day off, and I was definitely looking forward to it given the weekend's rides and runs. Will was very timely getting me this month's program, and I checked it out first thing Monday morning. Today's workout was going to be a good, not easy but short and fun, one, so I also looked at the rest of the month. I'd sent him my July schedule; I'll be racing weekly crits, running a 5K, doing a half-Ironman, and doing an Olympic-distance race. I thought he'd work it into the schedule he sent me. Then I about fell out of my chair; then I about started crying. Not only did weeks 2 and 3 contain 3 days of work, the workouts were crazy hard. I thought there was no way I'd be able to do all 3 days, but I knew he'd put a lot of work into it and didn't know what to tell him. I decided to do Monday and then talk to him later about it.

I had to ask him a question about one this for today, and when he called we got to talking about the rest of the month; he was happy he'd gotten the whole thing to me early. I asked him if he'd looked at the schedule I'd sent him, and he said no, so he opened it up and saw the races. He agreed that weeks 2 and 3 were ridiculously hard, and I'm very grateful that he has since updated the workouts. If he tells me I can do something, I usually do because I trust him, but I was just so unsure about those 2 weeks—they look so much more manageable now!

I did today's workout and was thoroughly exhausted after 1 set of 6-6-6 EDI.
  • Lunge with Russian Lunge with a bar: I used an 18-lb bar. I thought he was crazy, telling me to do this. He said do as many RLs as you can and then just do regular reps with violent stops. about 8 reps into the right leg, some girl named Ashley started talking to me, saying that it looked really hard. Yeah. I could barely talk to her. I made it through all 18 right leg with RL and 8 left leg with RL, then I completed the remaining 10 regular reps.
  • Glute ham with reps to the top: This went way better today than the last time when I really struggled using my hamstrings and glutes. Although I still leaned and stuck my butt out some, I definitely focused on resetting before finishing the rep.
  • Bench press with bar only: Nothing out of the ordinary here.
  • Plate front delt raise with 10-lb plate: The ISO is at the bottom, and then you raise the plate to about eye level, focusing on keeping your chest up (same as on bench press). Nothing really out of the ordinary here, either.

No comments: