Friday, June 19, 2009

And the Fun Continues...

These workouts have really been something I've looked forward to. That's good, since I haven't been wanted to run or ride lately. I used to know what would be coming for the day (it helped that Will sent me a lineup a month in advance), but now it's pretty much all new stuff, and I love it. Today was no different. I swam 100m (super short, but at least I got into the pool to swim!) and then did this workout:
  • Glute ham: 10 sets of 3 to the TOP
  • Body-weight squats: 3 sets of 50 with 45 seconds rest between sets. #1, I like having a predefined rest period. I can just set my watch and go when the clock goes off. Otherwise I don't rest enough (or at all) or I rest too long. Although I was not thrilled about doing 150 more squats (to bring the week's total to 750), I did them knowing that 150 was only half of what I did Monday and Wednesday. Plus I had to tell myself that I could forget my quads hurt. I didn't think about them hurting at all yesterday while playing volleyball with some Inversion people (Emily, Brent, Troy, Chris, Jonathan, Abby, and others), so I couldn't think about them hurting today, either.
  • Rebound lunge: 10 reps right leg, 30 seconds rest, repeat 10 times, rest, repeat everything on the left leg. I think I finally grasped the concept behind the rebounds. Today what I was thinking about what turning off and then on my muscles really quickly—basically like shudders: on and off, on and off. Then I was able to rebound quickly and felt fast and efficient. It took us a while to ensure I knew what I was supposed to be doing, but we got it figured out.
  • Bent-over row: 6 sets of 3, regular bar. I used a 40-lb bar. I probably could have done more weight, but I didn't today.
  • Push up: 6 sets of 30 seconds on, 30 seconds off. I wasn't told to go on feet or knees, so I did feet. The last 30 seconds were HARD.
Actually, the entire workout was hard. I was sweating by squat #5 (which was actually T – 1. I started with 1 (didn't turn my muscles on and nearly fell backwards), did another 5 (but paused and I was determined to do them all without pausing), and then started over again and did them all. I want to do another 250 squats just so I can say I did 100 this week. Will said to make sure you turn your muscles on for every rep, so that's what I was thinking about. The last set of squats was super hard—that's when I was telling myself that I had to forget my legs hurt because I had forgotten last night.

Tomorrow I might run a little, Sunday I plan to race, Monday will be a good workout from Will, and then I'll be back to the regular Tuesday–Sunday workout regimen. Hopefully I'll be able to sustain for a while, weeks, since I have a half Ironman coming up in a few weeks!

No comments: