Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Fun, Hard Workout

I’ve been enjoying the different workouts that Will’s been sending me. My quads are still screaming about the 300 body squats from Monday, but since I’m not really tri training and I’m probably not racing for a few days, I’m excited about the different ones. Today was definitely a fun one.
  • Lunge press: Bar only, keep forearms and shins straight up and down. From the bottom of the lunge and the bottom of the press (with arms in front), stand up and push up simultaneously. 6 on the right leg, 6 on the left leg, quick rest, and then repeat 6 times. I used a 24-lb bar; I had considered using the 45-lb bar, but I’m glad I didn’t. By the time I got to the 5th and 6th sets, I was definitely struggling; there’s no way I could have done this with a 45-lb bar.
    1. 30-sec ISO extreme glute ham (on the floor)
    2. 50 quick body-weight squats. Focus on using glutes.
    Repeat 6 times. My quads definitely like to dominate, even when I’m trying to use my glutes. But I was really focused on it. I’ll be honest; this was hard after having done 300 on Monday, but I did them all and worked hard.
    1. 6 altitude-drop wall squats with a 2-second pause at the bottom
    2. Glute ham at 60*–20 pulses (shudders)
    Repeat 6 times. I don’t know whether I did the shudders correctly. By that time, I was definitely holding myself up more with my arms than with my hamstrings. I tried to turn my muscles on and off quickly. I needed Will to tell me whether I was doing this right or not.
    1. Bench press: 10 reps, bar only (45 lbs); 6 reps, 55 lbs; 3 reps, 65 lbs.
    2. 1-min ISO extreme push up
    I knew I could do the bench press because Will told me to do it. I was aware that I didn’t have a spotter, so I was watching to make sure that someone was around if I needed someone. But I didn’t.
This was actually a fun workout, albeit hard. It took me 1:10 to complete, and I was glad that I didn’t have another workout to do, because I probably wouldn’t have been able to complete it. I had my almonds (left over from lunch) right after, then came home and ate a hamburger, some spinach salad, and an orange. Now I’m exhausted and ready for sleep!

No comments: