Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Wednesday Brick; Other fun stuff

Today was my first real test of the Garmin. I haven't read everything about it yet, but I hope to within the next week so that I can use the virtual training partner and make it farther and faster next time I do this brick workout.

I cut the ride slightly short to stay around 45 minutes—Moores to Franklin to Mack Hatcher to Hillsboro through Rebel to Del Rio to Cotton to Fieldstone to Hillsboro to Mack Hatcher to Franklin to Moores. Total time: 49:38. Mileage: 16.1. Average speed: 19.5. Average HR: 161. Burned 996 calories.

After the ride, I did a quick 0:47 transition to switch shoes and put up my bike, and then I hit the road for the run—30 minutes. I went Moores to Franklin to Mallory Station to GG Patton and made it to the corner of GG Patton and Moores (3.85 mi) in 30:34. I hit the corner of Franklin and Mallory Sta in 15:54. Average pace: 7:56. Average HR: 184. Burned 462 calories.

Total distance for the brick: 20.08 mi. Total time: 1:22:21. Average HR: 169. Total calories: 1,472.

Last time on this brick was 5-20-09. I did the 18-mile route (today's was 16 miles) in 54:30 for an average of 19.7 mph. The previous two times I did the route it was 17.71 and it was in 55:48 (5-13) and the week before was 56:56. I made it 40 seconds farther this week than the previous week since I hit that week's finish line at 29:20.

Will gave me a slightly different workout today, and I'm really liking the variety he's throwing in.
  • Glute ham with reps to the top: 3 reps × 10 times. I was supposed to take a short break, like 10 breaths, between each one, but I did only about 5 after each one. I couldn't really tell whether I was really using my hamstrings. Hmm.
  • Lunge with Russian lunge: Lunge first, then do 3 RLs with violent stops after each one. Next leg, 10 breaths rest, then repeat for 10 total sets of 3 for each leg. I was in front of a mirror, so I was really trying to work hard on keeping my torso erect and actually lifting up my back leg rather than kicking it out like I've been known to do. I tried to turn on my muscles for each one to make a violent stop.
  • Quick bicep curls: 20-lb bar. Same thing: 3×10 with a few breaths between each one.
  • Push up with hands on benches: Will didn't say whether to do these on my knees or feet, and since it was 10 sets of 3, I decided to do them all on my feet. And I did. That even after having done 20 push ups at work.
There were only a couple others at the Cool Springs Y while I was there, and after I finished a guy named Matthew came up to me and asked me what I was training for. Tris, I told him, and he said he'd thought so because of the timing and breathing patterns of the exercises I was doing. His brother Josh was there, and he told me about Josh's playing at 12th and Porter on Monday, June 29, sometime after 7:30. I said I'd write it down, so I did; any local people who want to go are now aware of it.

No comments: