Saturday, August 22, 2009

Wildlife Day

I saw a lot of wildlife on my riderun today: vultures, lots of birds, dogs, a cat, a turtle, horses, cattle, and more. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me and was thus unable to capture any of it. But I do have stats from the workout!
  • Multisport totals: 2:33:46; 35.77 miles; 136 HR; 2,354 calories
  • Bike: 1:58:23; 31.79 miles; 16.1 average; 135 HR (168 max);
  • Transition: 00:41
  • Run: 30:00; 3.73 miles; 8:03 pace; 6:39 best pace; 152 HR (184 max)
  • Cool down: 5:22; 0.25 miles; 78 HR
Eastern/southern Williamson county

The ride looked something like this. I couldn't find all the roads (the maps aren't up to date), so the mileage in the picture is a little off. This is a good, hilly route. It's good practice for IM Loo:

Ironman bike route


Fortunately, the Ironman run is quite flat.

I decided that I miss softball, so I went to a park in Brentwood and hit and threw around for a while.

The park...there are 4 fields and it's close to the Y


My gear...I've missed having to use it and having everything fit into one bag! My bike and pump definitely don't fit.


Batting in practice (with a poor follow-through)


Batting practice (with a much better follow-through!)


Then, after church, I went to another Brentwood park for the Inversion picnic. I never got out of the car. I don't think I fit in. It probably didn't help that I didn't really know anyone who was there except Jen, Jonathan, and Ray--they are the three leaders and I know they would have been caught up talking with everyone else the entire time; I didn't want to take up their time. As I sat in the car watching, I wondered how I'd ever meet anyone if I never got out of the car. But on the other side of things, I realized that I really don't like people. Well, maybe it's not that I don't like people but rather that people overwhelm me and I don't like being in large groups of people. I'd much rather be with 2 or 3 people and get to know them really well than be with 100 people and not know anyone when I left.

I have met new people lately. For example, I met Joanna and Chris at the pool yesterday. And I spent some time talking with Whitney a few weeks ago. And tonight at church I met Greg and his wife Nicole, saw Brian, and met his girlfriend Lindsey. Maybe that was enough for me for a while? I don't really know what the deal is. This morning during my bike ride, I was thinking about my sisters and me. From what I see, we are all very alike in that we're not very outgoing. I think they rely on their husbands to meet the new people and then they build the relationships. I think that's what I would do were I married—rely on my husband to meet all the new people and then create strong friendships with those people.

But is that the right way to think? I mean, how am I going to meet someone to marry who will introduce me to new people unless I meet someone in the first place? Is it right to not be involved in a community (of believers or of anyone) just because I don't like being around people? There is significant amount of evidence in the Word that we are created for relationships. And I'd be a fool to deny that I need people. Yet I feel at times that the people I know are enough for me. After all, I can't even spend as much time with them as I want, so what good is it to start making other friendships? I don't know. Maybe if I had a group of close friends I could ask them what they think :-/ I did at one time; Allison moved, Melissa moved, Erin moved, Natalie moved, and Jen is still around but I haven't seen her but once in the last year.

There was something in the bulletin today about community groups. It would probably serve me well to join one, but you have to attend 4 consecutive weeks of a class on Sunday mornings, and I haven't been around 4 consecutive Sunday for the last year. Plus I never go to church on Sunday. Oh, all I hear is myself making excuses, and I hate it!

The excitement for the night was watching 7 fire trucks, 2 police cars, and all their people check out an apartment across the parking lot. I heard all the sirens and was praying for the firemen and all other first responders when I noticed the sirens getting closer and closer...so I decided that it was time to take a walk. I didn't have to go far.

Checking out the apt


All the trucks (well, at least all their lights!)


I spent a little time talking with James, saw and chatted with (but didn't get the name of) the girl who lives next door to me whose music I hear a lot, and just watched what thankfully turned out to be nothing. I kept hoping Bill and Nancy would come home during that time so I could go over and say hi, but they didn't. So I talked to Will instead. God is working mightily in his life and it was so exciting to hear that he's skating really well and trusting God and being blessed and seeing God's hand everywhere in his life. And having good dreams. Navy blue gear and bright green lining...pretty specific!

No comments: