Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Good and Bad of Working Out Alone

Today's workout was this:
  • 5 barbell squats (65 lb) with 50 glute shudders; repeat 5 times
  • 3 bench press (75 lb) with 3 bent over row (65 lb) with scap pull up (1 min) with preacher curl (20-lb bar); repeat 5 times.
I did the following:
  • 5 barbell squats (45 lb) with 50 glute shudders; repeat 5 times
  • 3 bench press (55 lb) with 3 bent over row (45 lb) with scap pull up (1 min) with preacher curl (light bar; I used 20 lb); repeat 5 times.
I found out afterward that what I thought was a 65-lb bar was really only 45 lb, so I was 20 lb short. Should I do it all again? I asked Will; I'd debated asking and letting him know that I really don't know what I'm doing or making sure I do it right. He laughed for a minute, but then said that as long as I moved the weight as fast as possible, just do it right next time.

But to make that better, some guy (I didn't get his name; maybe I'll chat with him again) came up to me and said something to the effect of, "You must have been a great track star." I said I do triathlons, and he replied with something like, "You look like you belong in the gym. Yeah, you look like you own the gym." That make me feel good!

I rode my bike after work, 1:30, with at 50 minutes, 30 minutes Z4. Here's what it looked like:
  • Totals: 1:30:22; 25.51 miles; 16.9 mph; 1,484 cal; 147 HR
  • Lap 1: 50 minutes; 14.05 miles; 16.9 mph; 138 HR
  • Lap 2: 30 minutes; 8.76 miles; 17.5 mph (35.9 max); 164 HR (180 max)
  • Lap 3: 10:22; 2.69 miles; 15.6 mph; 148 HR
I really felt like I was moving slowly the entire time. I did the 50 minutes in HR Z2 (hooray!) but then I had trouble getting my HR up to where I thought it should have been to ride fast in Z4. It felt like a good ride, though.

Then I came home for some supper (talked to M and Will and that was great; I don't think I've talked to my sister in about a month!) and headed to Inversion, where I gave Jesi a little information on IMLoo (she said she's going to come down to support me!), talked to Joshua (who said we'd met before but I didn't remember), and then met Susanna, who's a runner, too. Nice.

No comments: