Thursday, August 20, 2009

Backwards

Somehow I left my helmet at home, so instead of riding from the Y and then doing my ISO exercises, I did the ISOs and then drove home and rode from here. The ISOs made me wonder...
  • Bench press: 10 deep breaths, then 1 at 65 lb, then rest as if someone else were going. Repeat 10 times. This was not a challenge. I wasn't sure how to make it so. I really focused on driving my chest up and moving the weight as fast as possible and engaging my legs, but it just wasn't hard.
  • Rebound curl: 10×10 with 24 lb. Will said a light bar, like 25 lb. That was not light! The hardness of this one definitely made up for the easiness of the previous one. Arms moving fast, and driving back up to the top before starting the next one. My forearms were tight after each set, but I took 5 deep breaths between each set and really focused on recovering—I was thinking about the oxygen and blood flowing through my body, getting to the muscles that needed it and then the muscles recovering. Incredibly, I felt stronger as I went on.
  • Squat: with bar only, 10×5 at 10 seconds rest. I did not succeed at doing these super fast, but I was trying to. I at least tried to make each one the same or better than the previous one.
  • Glute ham: 10×10, reps to arm's length. For this one, I was definitely thinking about not sticking my but out. That meant that I really had to use my glutes and hamstrings and by the final 3 or so sets, it was harder than I'd expected.
Heading out for a good, hot, windy ride...
  • Totals: 58:19; 16.67 miles; 17.1 average; 1,028 calories; 144 HR (178 max)
  • Lap 1: 45 minutes Z2; 42 min; 12.88 miles; 18.4 average; 142 HR
  • Lap 2: 10 minutes Z4; 10 min; 2.40 miles; 14.4 average; 167 HR (short and slow, but this was the climb up the back of Lynwood and then the descent)
  • Cool down: 6:19; 1.39 miles; 13.2 average; 122 HR
Asleep at 9; awake at 3:42 (alarm) and 4:30 (reset alarm). I might have slept through the night? I didn’t have any dreams that woke me up.

No comments: