Friday, August 21, 2009

Mail!

Mom sent me a package that I got today. It had some coffee for Beth at work and a few things for me!

New LifeSport visor

The visor is from Bree Wee, my favorite pro triathlete. She saw my dad at the club in Hawaii and he said I might like one...so she gave it to him for me! Then Mom found a matching vest and sent it my way. What a great package!

I actually woke up early and got my run in this morning before work. I learned today that the more I focus on keeping my chest up (or just think about that kid talking about thrusting his chest forward on push ups), the better and faster I run. I actually feel better and more efficient; I'm not leaning over or anything ridiculous like that. I had to run 45 minutes; at 30, 7.5 minutes Z4. I left from MFY and ran the loop clockwise. This meant that I should have been able to watch the sunrise (which was veiled by clouds this morning) and that I was running uphill the entire 7.5-minute Z4 interval.
  • Totals: 46:00; 5.56 miles; 8:16 pace; 670 calories; 167 HR
  • Lap 1: 30 min; 3.55 miles; 8:27 pace; 3:33 best pace (that can't be right!); 164 HR
  • Lap 2: 7:30; 1.00 miles; 7:30 pace; 6:28 best pace; 174 HR
  • Lap 3: 7:30; 0.90 miles; 8:19 pace; 6:20 best pace; 173 HR
  • Lap 4 (quick cool down): 1 min; 0.11 mi; 8:48 pace; 167 HR

I guess it wasn't ALL uphill, but it sure felt like it!

After work, I went back to MFY to swim a little (by a little, I mean 500. In 10 min). That was all I wanted to do. Then I headed to the tire shop to get new tires on my great, reliable car. I thank God for having provided me such a reliable vehicle. And during that time I got to talk to Joel, a great friend and fellow triathlete. Fabulous early afternoon!

Then I sat at the pool at our apartment complex. I was working on some IM stuff and then pulled out my book. I hadn't been reading but 5 minutes when a couple, Joanna and Chris, came up to me and said they liked the book I was reading. Lana sent me Velvet Elvis, by Rob Bell, and while I wait for the third book in the novel series I'm reading I am working through this book. I'm not sure yet what I think of it. So far, he's trying to say that our Christian faith, or rather doctrine and theology, is more like a trampoline (springy and flexible) than a brick wall (solid and exclusive and sketchy because if you remove one brick the wall falls). I'm still trying to work through those analogies. Back to the story.... Joanna and Chris are believers, as well. They work at a church around here, and she's a former track athlete. Maybe a new running partner? Definitely new friends who will likely be at the pool most Fridays!

Meeting and talking with them made me wonder this: Why am I so willing to share the gospel (that Jesus died on the cross for our sins, rose again, and if we believe in Him we will live with God forever in heaven; but if we do not believe or reject Him, we will be separated from God forever in hell) with other believers, but when I am around unbelievers I rarely talk about Jesus and what He has done for me? If it's fear, that's not rational. Even if I'm rejected, they're not rejecting me; they're rejecting Christ. If it's shame, that's not rational. I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God unto salvation to everyone who believes. If it's forgetfulness, that's not right. How can I forget something that is everything to me? Rather than fear or shame, I should feel love and distress, for I know the outcome and consequence of unbelief; I should not want to see anyone separated from God. He is not willing that any should perish; who am I that I should be? Forgive me, Lord, for my disobedience and selfishness!

No comments: