Thursday, August 13, 2009

Ride on the Triple!

Lisa, me, and Tom on the triple


This workout started early (4:30am), continued at lunch, and was finally over around 7:10. Long day!
  • Lateral delt raise, extreme slow, 3 minutes with 3–5 lb (I used a 5-lb plate), quick rest (I took 10 seconds because that's how long my timer beeps for), 3 minutes with 1–3 lb (I used a 2.5-lb plate). Seated by the wall, arm out to the side, starting high and going down; do one arm all 6 minutes then switch. Even though I wasn't going very slow the last few minutes, I was forcing myself to raise my arm up as high as I could before starting to lower. Once on my left arm I had to use my right had to lift my arm up, but I did it.
  • Bench press, extreme slow, 3 minutes with 70 lb (I think Will's crazy; I started with 65 lb [bar + 10 lb per side] and lasted about halfway through, then I took the plates off and did bar only for the remaining time; fortunately I had a spotter, John, who helped me there), quick rest (I took just over 10 seconds because we had to switch bars), 3 minutes with about 35 lb (I did about half of what I ended up with, or 20–25 lb; I'm not sure how heavy the bar really was).
I want to know how much weight Will would use for bench press if he were doing this. 70 would have been excessive; 65 was even too much! I asked, and he said it's about half body weight, then half of that. He thought I should have been able to do 65 lb; maybe I didn't know that it was supposed to be extremely hard. I said I knew; I couldn't do it. He'll show me how to do it right (and he'll see I'm not that strong) next time we can work out together.

I tried to finish this workout at lunch:
  • Lunge right leg, 3 minutes extreme slow, holding bar between legs, then 3 minutes extreme slow without bar. Then repeat legs. My legs were screaming at me the entire time. My quads, that is, likely from the squats I did Tuesday. Ouch. I did it and it hurt. Oh, yes, I think I know what this is supposed to be like. It hurts!
  • Glute ham from 60–70* (or starting up higher if necessary) (now I know why my hip flexors have been slightly sore—I obviously am not doing this one with only hamstrings and glutes; for some reason, I always try to compensate and not make my big muscles do everything; I don't know why!) 3 minutes extreme slow (I wouldn't even have had to move from the top; it was enough of an exercise from there!), then standing extreme ham 3 minutes. The standing ham is probably the only one of these that I know I did exactly correct.
I was also supposed to do 20 regular squats, 30 rebound squats, 20 regular squats (and by regular I mean with violent stops at the top and bottom), but I don't know what rebound squats are supposed to look like. I did the first 20, took 5 seconds rest, and then quit. I'll try to do it all tomorrow. Maybe I'll ask. Or maybe I'll skip it.

Then, Lisa and I got to ride with Tom on the triple. Not a tandem bike; rather, it's made for three people. How fun!

Almost ready to go (just missing one rider :-)

Quick stats:
  • Totals: 1:10:42; 24.35 miles; 20.7 average; 1,512 calories; 151 HR (186 max)
  • 30:20 + 34:28 = 1:04:48; 11.29 + 12.41 = 23.70 miles; 22.3 mph + 21.6 = 21.9 average; 148 HR + 161 = 156 HR; 46.5 max speed!
  • Cool down: 5:53; 0.65 mi; 116 HR
So much fun!

Lisa's view (of the back of my head) during the ride; and I thought she was working back there!

I wish I'd had my camera out with me on the ride. We rode past Jim Warren park at the beginning of the route and I looked over at the people walking along the path. The looks on people's faces were priceless—I don't think they'd seen a bike that seated 3 people before. One little girl just stood there, moth open, pointing. Loved it! Jay and Roxanne were there, and Kelly, and I met Jim and Angela, Emily and Brian, and a few others. They all went out to La Hacienda after and here I am at home blogging. Hmm. Tomorrow is my social day.

No comments: