Saturday, August 15, 2009

RideRun Brick (Another Fun Saturday)

My ride was slightly shorter than prescribed. My legs were so dead. I don't know why. Perhaps still from the long ride last weekend? Anyway, I still got some good miles in and a great run.
  • Multisport totals: 3:06:25; 46.89 miles; 143 HR; 3,018 calories
  • Bike totals: 2:36:13 (not quite the 4 I needed); 43.15 miles; 140 HR (hooray for Z2! 171 max); 16.7 average (the first hour was over 18; the second was slower and the third was slowest...I slowly declined in ability and motivation); 34.8 max speed (my attempt at using someone to motorpace me--only it was in a 40 mph zone and I didn't start close enough to him; plus he was totally speeding!)
  • I did a 1:21 transition, split, forgot about my shirt, turned around to take it off, then headed back out to my run.
  • Run totals: 30:11 (I HAD to make it up the hill to the stoplight); 3.75 miles; 8:04 pace (7:01 best); 160 HR (181 max). It was 16:50 and 2.10 when I turned around. I really tried to focus on running the same and the same speed up and down the hills (there really isn't anything flat on this route). And I tried to not let the wind hurt me but then tried to use it when it was with me. I felt strong. Whether I could have kept that pace up for another 6+ repetitions of that is going to be the question of the day in 2 weeks!
  • Cool down: 7:23 (with butt kicks and high knees and hamstring things--gotta do the drills!); 0.46 miles; 41 calories; 16:13 pace (8:30 best); 102 HR (139 max)
Here are the run results from the last two times I did this run (both after an 18-or-so-mile bike):
  • 6-10-09: Total time: 49:38. Mileage: 16.1. Average speed: 19.5. Average HR: 161. Burned 996 calories. After the ride, I did a quick 0:47 transition to switch shoes and put up my bike, and then I hit the road for the run—30 minutes. I went Moores to Franklin to Mallory Station to GG Patton and made it to the corner of GG Patton and Moores (3.85 mi) in 30:34. I hit the corner of Franklin and Mallory Sta in 15:54. Average pace: 7:56. Average HR: 184. Burned 462 calories. Total distance for the brick: 20.08 mi. Total time: 1:22:21. Average HR: 169. Total calories: 1,472.
  • 5-20-09: I did the 18-mile route (today's was 16 miles) in 54:30 for an average of 19.7 mph. The previous two times I did the route it was 17.71 and it was in 55:48 (5-13) and the week before was 56:56. I made it 40 seconds farther this week than the previous week since I hit that week's finish line at 29:20.
Then I got to hang out at the pool reading for a while, went shopping for bananas, protein, and chocolate almond milk (for my recovery smoothies, which also include almonds, flax seeds, and a little ice), and now I have a consistent drip of water coming down from the upstairs apartment; someone is up there and down here trying to fix it.

Off to church then to the Y for 5 on, 5 off thru 40 plus some more squats. I think Will wants to make me suffer. Truthfully, I really do like squats. They are hard, they make me sweat, and even though I always get sore after them, I feel stronger. How could 300 body squats in one day NOT make you stronger?
  • 5 on 5 off thru 40 glute ham: One guy was working out on a machine behind me and a worker was folding towels. Although I couldn't see them, I could sense them looking at each other, wondering what I was doing. I heard one of them say, "I don't know!" while they tried to figure out what I was doing. If only they knew how hard I was working!
  • 5 on 5 off thru 40 wall squat: Since this was relatively short (compared to 5 minutes, that is), I definitely made the most of each interval. And had fun. I just kept thinking "FASTER THAN EVER" and "BETTER EVERY DAY"; these were Will's notes to me on this month's workouts.
  • 5 on 5 off thru 40 front plate delt raise: This was better explained than the first time this was on the list, but I'd remembered Will's explanation, also. Seated by the wall, 10-lb plate held 1 inch off the ground, chest up. It was way harder than it sounds.
  • 5 on 5 off thru 40 preacher curl: Light bar (the one that's curly; I don't know how much it weighs).
  • Russian twist (3 each side) then bent-over barbell row (65 lb) (6 reps): repeat 4 times. I definitely got the weight right. Now I just don't know whether I'm doing bent-over row correctly. Oh, if only we could be working out together!
  • Squats: quick squats, 3x30 @ 20 seconds rest. Yes, I love squats. I especially like doing them in front of the mirror so I can make sure I'm doing them correctly and holding a bar on my back so I know what to do with my hands.
  • Bench press: quick, light bar (I think I used a 35-lb bar; it wasn't the one that's curly and it was definitely heavier than than but lighter than the 45-lb one); 3x20 @ 15 seconds rest. I had a mirror for this one, too, and was making sure that I was going straight up and down. And keeping my chest up. And keeping my legs engaged. And going fast. Oh, so many things to remember. I like when Will does my thinking for me and I don't have to remember to focus on all this!
It's a good thing I don't need to be around or with or in constant contact/communication with people. If I did, I'd hate my weekends. They usually consist of a lot of solo hours. Thankfully, that gives me some good time to think things through and think about other things and pray and read and spend time with God. I know why silence and quietness and stillness are so important when it comes to living a life in obedience to God.

No comments: