Sunday, September 6, 2009

The Planning Phase

Nearly every tri training plan you look at has 3 phases: Base, Build, and Peak. They should really include a fourth phase: Plan. Actually, it would be the first phase. That's the phase I'm currently in. Since I'm done with IMs for a little while, I have to find a new training program that fits better with shorter-distance races. Today I went to Barnes and Noble and bought Triathlete Magazine's Essential Week-by-Week Training Guide: Plans, Scheduling Tips, and Workout Goals for Triathletes of All Levels book. Someone on Slowtwitch recommended it, and after I looked through about 30 other books, I decided to go with it because it looks like it has some really good programs in it. Knowing now a little of what goes into planning workouts, I appreciate what Will does for me even more. Thanks, Will! You rock.

I was hoping to find something that would tell me what to do when, but this will require a bit more planning. I will enjoy it, but it will take me a little more time than I'd anticipated. Oh, well. Happy planning phase. That also means that I get to pick races for next year. Already, it looks like I'll be going to Des Moines and Knoxville for sure, with a trip to either NYC or Cali and a trip to St. Petersburg, FL also on the list. And that's just for tris. I'm going to stay local for run races (and I plan to just run a few of them without registering to save a little money) and try to stay local for bike races (it looks like Avery Trace, State TT, Sumner County, and one or two others plus the NashvilleCyclist.com crit series). Wow. It will be a fun season. I love traveling!

I actually did a little workout today; since I'm racing tomorrow, I want to be fast, so that's what I was thinking about today while training. 5 on, 5 off thru 30 and then back down again after a short rest.
  • 1-leg squat: I did much better at this one than the last time. As I was glancing through some books at the sore, I saw a picture of someone doing it and decided to spread out a little more than I had been. I could definitely feel it more in my quads and hip flexors and less in my knee, so I was pleased. I tried to pull as deep as possible every time. I did 5 on, 10 off thru 30, 20-second break, then 25 on, 10 off thru 5. 40-second break, then second leg.
  • Glute ham: I just worked as hard as I could, pulling with my hamstrings and glutes as hard as possible. I still can't wait until Will comes home for a couple days and we can work out together. He pushes me harder than I would push myself.
  • Preacher curl with light bar: I started out with a 15-lb bar (thru 25) then decided it wasn't enough. So I started over with an 18-lb bar. That might still have been too light, but I did the entire thing with that, focusing on lengthening my biceps by trying to reach the wall in front of me while keeping my chest up and my legs engaged. Thinking about swimming this time, even though my back was to the pool.
  • Push up: I started on dumbbells but felt like I could definitely be pulling down deeper and so after the 20-second interval I quit, put 2 benches together, and started over. Definitely harder and better. As much as I didn't succeed Thurs/Fri) whatever day it was) I succeeded today. Happy day!
I spent some time at the pool looking through my new book, reading my novel, and talking with Liz. A good, relaxing Sabbath all around considering I also got to spend some time talking to my mom and in the Word with the Lord at my favorite worship spot on the grounds here. God is good!

No comments: