Sunday, September 11, 2011

220 Pounds of Chicken

This weekend was unlike any other weekend, and it was a good one. Friday, I worked my normal half day and then went to MFY for a workout: 10×10sec, 2 times, lunge with RL, GHR with reps to top, pull up (1 time), altitude drop curl with 18lb, and crate crunch. It definitely went better than Wednesday’s workout. Thankfully.

Later I headed to my teammate Kat’s sister-in-law’s house to help her mother-in-law (Celia and Patty) cut chicken. We had at least 220 pounds to cut—4 huge boxes with lots of 6 double-breast packages in each one. Thankfully, the chicken was still frozen, so that made it easy to cut. However, after more than an hour, we had made it through only 1 box and decided we were probably going to be there all night! It was almost overwhelming. Kat and Jay showed up eventually, though, and with their help we finished in less than 4 hours. But what the chicken was for was the most exciting part of the weekend.

Saturday morning, I got up early to stop at a produce stand in Nashville and then head out to Ashland City, TN, for the NashVegas Triathlon that Kat was organizing. I wasn’t racing; rather, I was feeding her almost 550 pre-registered (and possibly more with race-day registration) athletes who were competing in the sprint distance, Olympic distance, or half distance triathlon races that were going on that morning. Celia, Patty, and I were in charge, and we had a lot to do before the athletes finished and were hungry: steam rice, cut all the veggies (squash, zucchini, peppers, tomatoes, and onions), cut the watermelon and peaches, marinade the chicken and veggies, grill the chicken and veggies, and set everything up in an organized way. We had one grill to work with and started grilling early with the hopes of having enough cooked all day. We didn’t quite succeed, but we didn’t have many complainers, either. They could see that the food was being cooked and that we had enough, so they were patient and that made it easier on us. When we finally cleaned up, I felt as tired as if I’d have done a marathon!

Sunday I slept and slept, getting up in just enough time to get to church. I am so glad I didn’t miss this weekend’s service. One of our pastors was previously a pastor in the DC area, and he planned a fantastic 9/11 memorial service and time of worship. It was a great reminder that God is good and powerful. I walked away praying this:
Psalm 91:1–16

He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust.”

Surely He shall deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the perilous pestilence. He shall cover you with His feathers, and under His wings you shall take refuge; His truth shall be your shield and buckler. You shall not be afraid of the terror by night, nor of the arrow that flies by day, nor of the pestilence that walks in darkness, nor of the destruction that lays waste at noonday.

A thousand may fall at your side, and ten thousand at your right hand; but it shall not come near you. Only with your eyes shall you look, and see the reward of the wicked.

Because you have made the Lord, who is my refuge, even the Most High, your dwelling place, no evil shall befall you, nor shall any plague come near your dwelling; for He shall give His angels charge over you, to keep you in all your ways. In their hands they shall bear you up, lest you dash your foot against a stone. You shall tread upon the lion and the cobra, the young lion and the serpent you shall trample underfoot.

“Because he has set his love upon Me, therefore I will deliver him; I will set him on high, because he has known My name. He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him and honor him. With long life I will satisfy him, and show him My salvation.”
The sun was out when church ended, so I went for a run, doing the same loop I’d done on Thursday. My goal was to run each mile around 11 seconds faster than last time, but I never looked at my watch while I was running—I was just trying to run faster by feel. I succeeded for the first mile, but not for the last 2.25 miles. Stats:

  • 9-08-11 Totals: 3.25 miles, 25:19, 7:47 pace, 166 HR, 369’ ascent, 428’ descent
    9-11-11 Totals: 3.28 miles, 25:37, 7:49 pace, 168 HR, 384’ ascent, 564’ descent
  • 9-08-11 Mile 1: 7:59, 137 HR
    9-11-11 Mile 1: 7:48, 166 HR
  • 9-08-11 Mile 2: 7:38, 178 HR
    9-11-11 Mile 2: 7:44, 173 HR
  • 9-08-11 Mile 3: 7:42, 179 HR
    9-11-11 Mile 3: 7:54, 169 HR
  • 9-08-11 Mile 3.25: 1:58, 184 HR
    9-11-11 Mile 3.28: 2:08, 148 HR

The final event of the weekend was a softball double-header. I had to sit out the summer season because of cycling (so definitely sat out by choice!), and for this fall season I am on a new team. It was fun to play with Boo-Yahh tonight and to get to see my old Fellowship team. Sadly, I’ll miss the games we play against each other, but I’m sure I’ll see them all around the field during the weekends that I’m there! The games were great fun, and I fielded well. I played first base in the second game, one of very few, if not the first, times I’ve played there. I really do not like the infield, but the girl who had been there just wasn’t catching the throws to her, and they wanted someone who could catch. I much prefer the outfield and am much better out there, though. My hitting was OK, and I hit at least .333, which would be fantastic if I were in the majors. But this is a slowpitch fun league, and that is well below what I know I can do. I need to work on that for the next games!

No comments: