Sunday, May 22, 2011

Home Run!

Yum—the perfect summer meal!

Today we took a little time to recon the State TT course, and I am so glad we did. I do best when I know what a race course looks like before I have to race on it, and today was the perfect opportunity to get a feel for the course. It is going to be fun to race on next weekend! We rode out to the turnaround, chatted a bit there, and turned around to return to the finish. We spent a little time riding at the turnaround and at the finish.

  • Totals: 1:35:31, 29.21 miles, 18.3 mph (35.7 max), 138 HR (177 max)
  • Out: 34:00, 12.52 miles, 22.1 mph, 155 HR
  • In: 39:50, 12.32 miles, 18.6 mph, 142 HR

Can you tell which way the wind was blowing? This gives me a good idea of what to expect next weekend. I am looking forward to being able to see far ahead of me so that I’ll know how far until I catch the next person in front of me!

After a couple hours of relaxing, I headed to Granny White Park for a Fellowship Team softball game. I’m sort of on the team and sort of not, since I really won’t be able to play that often because of racing. But today it worked out so that I could play, and I had a blast. There were a couple new players from last season but a lot of returning players, and we knew how to play together—that always helps make playing with others easier. I had to focus a lot on remembering that this was slow pitch and thus required a slower swim, and that focus paid off. My first at-bat was a single with 2 RBIs; my second at-bat was an in-the-park grand slam (that’s a first for me in this league); my third at-bat was a single that advanced but didn’t score the runner. I wasn’t quite as perfect in the field and need to work on that next time (if there is a next time before the fall season).

I’m not sure what all I was focused on, definitely on swinging right, knowing where to throw the ball, and knowing how many outs there were, and maybe that’s it. I didn’t pay attention to the final score (we might have won by runs, or we might have won by time limit, but we definitely won). I never know what inning it was. And I definitely didn’t notice until one of the last innings that we had 4 umpires. Oh, well, it didn’t really matter during the game, so I didn’t really let it bother me for the rest of the game. It did make me realize, though, why when I did umpire I had no idea what to do or where to stand.

No comments: