Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The Big 3-0: Adopt a US Soldier

For my birthday this year (30!) I am doing a bunch (30!) of planned things (known across the inter-webs as random acts of kindness or RAKs or RACKs) that will benefit or bless other people, and one of the first I decided to tackle was to adopt a US soldier. You can too! All the information is on their site here.

Within the past 6 days, I've signed up, been assigned a soldier, emailed and heard back from him, found out his birthday, and sent him a letter.

Letter #1, in the mail this morning!

This one thing is going to be more fun than I thought. I spent some time on the AAUSS site to find out ideas for communication and care packages, and my plan is to pray daily for him, send a letter every week or so, and send a package every month or so PLUS a special birthday package. Super easy. And since I know how much I love getting packages, I can only imagine how someone with otherwise likely little communication from home will appreciate it.

My birthday plan is anything but random, and that is just the way I like it. Plus if I didn't have a plan, I likely wouldn't do anything. I might be slightly more aware of people around me and what they need or want, but that's about it. (More about me and plans; see #21.)

(I've determined that every 5 years is a milestone year. For my 25th, I chose one new thing a month to learn or do; for my 30th, I've chosen 30 things, or approximately one every 2 weeks, to do for other people.)

No comments: