Saturday, September 8, 2012

NashVegas Triathlon

Before the swim

Today was so much fun. Last year I’d volunteered at the NashVegas Triathlon and got a free entry, so Anna and I decided to do the Olympic distance as a relay team. She was going to do the swim and run, and I was going to do the bike and possibly run with her (with her wearing the timing chip).

Our distance started at 7:45, and the female wave went off just before 8, so once Anna started I had about 25 minutes to wait. I grabbed my stuff that I’d previously put in transition and ran it up to my car; it was starting to rain, and I wanted it to stay mostly dry. Although I knew I’d get wet as soon as I started to ride, I waited under a tent just outside of the transition area and watched for her to run up. I jumped on my bike and started the 24-mile ride in the rain. It rained nearly the entire time, but I could see that the sky was beginning to clear and hoped that it might be dry for the run.

Starting the bike leg
Source

The bike course was great. We had a 5-mile-or-so out-and-back section on a highway and then turned off into the country. There was about a 1-mile climb and a lot more up-and-down throughout the entire course. I got passed by a few and passed many more, including the dozen or so I passed within the first mile.

Finishing the bike leg

By the time I returned to transition (actually, before I even left transition), I was a soaking wet mess but feeling good. I passed the chip to Anna and stopped to chat with Valerie for a second. I caught up to Anna but wasn’t able to keep her pace, so I just ran behind her.

Anna running strong...and it was dry!

When she turned around I did too, thus the run distance being shorter than 10K. Surprisingly, my run was much faster than I expected and I felt much better than I expected—thus the pleasantness of the race in general.

After the race...dry and happy!

It did end up clearing up and we had a fairly dry run, and the sun came out while they gave out the awards. Anna and I finished in 2:32:32, 2nd in our division (Female Relay).

Race number, t-shirt, medal, and results
We also won a door prize (socks, Body Glide, and more)

Swim: 29:38
T1: 00:47
Bike: 1:12:48, 24.21 miles, 20.1 mph (39.0 max), 172 bpm
T2: 01:10
Run: 48:09, 5.92 miles, 8:16 pace, 174 bpm (M1 – 7:36; M2 – 8:14; M3 – 8:41 turnaround; M4 – 8:07; M5 – 8:42 walked up the hill to stay behind Anna; M5.92 – 7:32, 8:12 pace)

Anna, Val, and I chilled for a while after the race. We all knew quite a few people there and chatted a bit. Then I came home for a nap!

Honestly, this was probably the most fun I’ve had at a triathlon. Granted it’s been a year since I’ve raced one so maybe my memory’s a little off, but because there wasn’t a lot of pressure I was able to just enjoy it.

Friday night Lauren, Bennett, Aunt Renee, Uncle John, and I went to see Much Ado about Nothing at Centennial Park, and we also went to a Greek Festival beforehand for dinner.

The stage in Centennial Park

No comments: