Sunday, September 9, 2012

Percy Warner and Softball Season

Today was an absolutely beautiful day. It made me so thankful for God the Creator and for my healthy legs :-)

I spent the morning at church (the parable of the wicked vinedressers from Luke 20), Kroger (needed the newspaper and free donuts!), the Y (had to write a blog and use their Wi-Fi), and Percy Warner (hello, hiking).

PW was great. There were so many more people than normal (I usually go around 1pm on Fridays when everyone else is at work), and most were happy. The only thing I hated were the number of dogs off-leash. I had just read an article from Runner's World about the Garritson family being attacked by dogs while out running on a trail (an article is here; I couldn't find the RW article online), and at least one dog who was well ahead of its owner freaked me out a little. I wasn't too nice to the girls whose dog it was, but when I encountered them again I stopped and talked to them to apologize and explain why I'd asked (told) them to put their dog on a leash.

My run/walk/jog ended up being 10.5 miles and just over 2 hours. I walked the first mile on the Candy Cane Connector Trail from Edwin Warner to Percy Warner and then turned to the left on the Red Trail. I stashed water at that turn and carried some gu with me. I mostly ran that loop, which is 4.25 miles. When I returned to my water, I still felt good so I turned around and went back the way I'd come to repeat the loop a second time, in the opposite direction. This loop I mostly walked, just to enjoy being out there. Back to the water, back to the CCC Trail, and back to my car 2:10 later.

Then it was off to McDonald's for some lunch (not the best choice, and I was going to stop at Kroger for a salad but didn't have time to go inside, get my salad, and eat it) and Granny White Park for our first softball games of the season. Sadly, we lost both games and I did not hit well (1 for 4 with a ground out and two fly balls), but there's always next week!

No comments: