Thursday, August 16, 2012

Music City Mile Race Report

My Belladium teammate Kat is a race director in her other life, and today she put on the Music City Mile. Because I love Kat and love racing, I decided to do it. Even though I haven't been running AT ALL and am definitely not a miler. But it was a good course (a loop around Titans Stadium) and had a good promoter, so I did it.

Run counter-clockwise
Not a lot of elevation change here :-)

All 35 women started together at 6pm, and my goal was to finish under 7 minutes. My previous fastest mile time was 6:30 (my blog says 6:20; my head has been telling me 6:30 for the last 2 years, and I don't know whether that's a typo or a bad memory, but I am going with typo) as the first mile of a 5K on an all downhill mile (Tricia's wedding weekend, July 2010). I was aiming for faster today but really didn't know what I'd be able to do.

When we started, I felt like I was in the Olympics. It was a sweet feeling, for about 10 seconds. Then I realized that it was a really fast pace...like 4:49/mile! Needless to say, I did not stay with that group for long. I did stay mostly with the front group. I could still see them the whole time and I couldn't hear or see anyone behind me, so I was where I normally am--at the back of the front (better than at the front of the back, I suppose).

I finished a mile at 6:27 on my Garmin and crossed the line at 6:30 on the clock. I am going with a new PR of 6:27 for a mile. Woohoo!

This race was well-organized and fun. Short, too, much shorter than a 5K would've been. I mean, everyone was done within 15 minutes of starting, so even though we had two waves 15 minutes apart, the races were over before 6:30 and I was home by 7:30 after the awards. The post-race foods were bananas, pizza, garlic-bread knots, and beer, and there was plenty of water and gatorade as well. The s2f crew did a good job of setting up the course, and no cars drove at us on the course so the police who were on the corners did a good job too.

No comments: