Friday, June 24, 2011

Sheboygan Crit and Fond du Lac Crit RR


Thursday was the Sheboygan race. I did not race this day because it was raining all day, and it was very hard for me to see during the one lap I took around the course. I did stay to watch the 3/4 race, though, with Mom, Dad, and Joel. It was kind of disappointing not be able to race when people were there watching, but it was definitely a good decision given that I didn't know the women and didn't want to take a risk for a race that didn't matter all that much in the long run. It was a very simple course, though, with 4 left-hand turns and lots of open road. Marnie, who I met later, mentioned that turn 3 had lots of crashes later in the day, though.

It was nice to be back in my hometown, but I didn't go to the lake nor see either of my old houses. I guess I'm not that nostalgic :-)



The Fond du Lac race was Friday, and this was the day my entire Reif family came to watch and I decided to race with the P/1/2/3s. It was sad, actually, since they lapped me 3 times. I got dropped within 10 minutes of the 60-minute race, and I let them pass me the first time. The second time, I latched back on and stayed with the group for 25 minutes or so. Thankfully, because it had been kind of humiliating to have been riding by myself for so long. After I fell off and they lapped me again, the official pulled me with 3 or so to go. I was happy to not have to finish by myself, and Lauren and Allie said that others had been pulled, too, so I didn't feel too bad. It was a hard workout, those women were tough, and I was too far back.

Will and I talked about this later, and I realized that I raced with a different mentality with these women than I had been with the 3/4 women. Not on purpose, but the difference in my attitude was definitely noticeable to me when I thought about it. And it was evident in my position--at the back the entire time with the P/1/2/3s, and in the middle or the front the entire time with the 3/4s.

Mom and Dad knew the photographer, and they convinced him to take a few pictures of me. Thankfully I'm not alone in ALL the pics!






Garmin stats: 56:42, 21.75 miles, 23.0 mph (29.2 max), 184 HR (196 max)
Lap 1 (until I got dropped the first time): 9:10, 3.73 mi, 24.4 mph, 180 HR
Lap 2 (solo and with people): 33:43, 13.03 mi, 23.2 mph, 185 HR
Lap 3 (with the group): 7:50, 2.74 mi, 21.0 mph, 185 HR
Lap 4 (solo until pulled): 5:58, 2.25 mi, 22.6 mph, 185 HR

No comments: