Thursday, April 22, 2010

CompuTrainer Class: Intensity

The class kicked my butt this morning. We did about a 15-minute warm up, a 10-minute ride around 87–92% of threshold, a quick break, repeat 10-minute ride around 87–92% of threshold, quick break, then 4×1min with 1-minute ramp up and 2-min recovery between at 100% of threshold. I managed OK during the warm up, then started struggling about 5 minutes into the first 10-min interval. I kept my cadence up knowing a break was coming, but I could not make my legs more fast during the second interval. Todd even lowered my watts some, but after 3 minutes I quit looking up at my cadence. I'm sure that instead of the required 90–95 RPM, I was much closer to 70. I somehow got it together enough to make it through the "smokestacks" (100% intervals) but it was nothing but challenging. I think I tested a lot higher than what I can actually maintain throughout the entire class. We'll have to see how next week goes. Average HR was 161—that's super high for a bike ride, one on the trainer especially.

My afternoon run was hardly a run. No full stats because it was truly awful, but I did run at least one mile (7:48). Then I headed to Publix to price check and Cozymels to eat supper with BEAT, a tri club I'm a part of here.

No comments: