Sunday, May 4, 2008

Getting "Art"

I don’t get “art.” This weekend at my church is all about expression through media: painting, dance, music, and poetry, among others. My cousins had a couple dance performances that I went to see, and all it made me want to do was possibly take a hip-hop class for fun. It did not make me appreciate it, it did not make me feel like I was worshipping, and it did not make me want to take up that kind of artistry. By my cousins and uncle love it. It’s their way of expressions.

During the church service, an artist was painting a picture of creation (today he would be doing the fall, redemption, and re-creation during the respective services). It was really neat to see the whole picture from start to finish. Of course, I didn’t see the “creation” part of it until the pastor mentioned it; I just thought he was painting a picture of a forest and a man with an aura. But evidently it fascinated a number of people and made them worship.

Also during the service they showed a video of four women discussing their painting and how it is an expression of their time with God. “Real Conversations,” they called it. I just don’t understand the whole mentality.

But then again, there is no doubt that I am a words person. I express with words (mostly written and sometimes spoken, but I communicate much better with the written word than the spoken word because I have more time to think about what I want to communicate). I can pass well for “thinking on my feet,” but that’s only if I’ve thought about what I want to say before I’m in the situation. I don’t do well when someone asks me or says something that I wasn’t expecting.

But words can only get one so far. As I memorize James, I’m getting to the verses that deal with not being hearers of the word only but being doers as well. I have so much knowledge that I’d like to be able to do something with, but I don’t have any good ideas. I recently thought that I’d like to marry a visionary. But letting someone else do my thinking for me is not going to solve any problem that I might have. I have to trust God to help me come up with ideas or to open doors for me so that I can communicate His Word and Truth, because I desperately want to obey Him.

But about marrying a visionary, I would love to do that, to support someone in his ideas, and to add some of my own problem-solving skills and knowledge into his ideas. I’m amazed at the desire to be a supporter and helper that God has given me. Thank you! Even if I can’t use it yet how I would have expected.

No comments: