Monday, September 1, 2008

Zeal

Zechariah 13:6 And one will say to him, "What are these wounds between your arms?" Then he will answer, "Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends."

"The zeal for the Lord will be so great in the kingdom of Messiah that idolaters will make every attempt to hide their true identity, but their scars will be the telltale evidence of their iniquity." John MacArthur, The MacArthur Study Bible, p. 1338.

As I train to race, I try to think of what I'll be doing while I'm racing. When I lift or do the ISO exercises, I think about how I'll have to turn on my muscles in the same way as I'm running or riding; when I ride and run, I remember what I did in the gym, turn on my muscles, and do what I've practiced (or at least try to...I'm still working on remembering everything!).

When I read and study the Word, I should have the same mindset: It's training for life, for trials, for joy, for everything.

"If I had everything I wanted (no sickness, all my friends, hobbies, food, etc. that I enjoy here) in heaven, but Jesus weren't there, would I be happy?" Francis Chan, Crazy Love, quoting John Piper.

No comments: