Sunday, September 14, 2008

Friends

I am back to one of my favorite mental debates: Which is better--having a few close friends or having many friends who aren't really close? This always comes up when someone leaves or when I do something that would be so much easier with someone else. Both of those things are true right now. Allison is moving back to Indy to go to school, and Will is giving me workouts that would be much easier if someone were there working with me or even just spotting me (I'm grateful for the workouts, and the accountability has been really good for me, but it would be much easier if he were here).

It is easier to keep in touch with people wherever they are (NY, WI, IA, AZ, IL, NC, OR, HI, FL) because of the technology we have, but I have so little interaction with friends as it is I don't want to continue losing friends! I like having fewer friends because it's easier to me to learn about them, get to know them, remember them, pray for them, love them, and spend time with them. I don't think I'd be able to handle knowing enough people to go out and do something every weekend, because it takes so much effort to get to know all of them and properly relate to them. But when I want to do something specific with someone, and have no one to do it with, I wonder whether knowing more people would be better. AAH!

Definitely like: Do this [Go pick up X at Y before Zpm].
Definitely don't like: Can you do something with someone at some time? It doesn't matter what or when, just spend time with someone.

No comments: