Sunday, July 15, 2007

My Mission Field

My mission field is changing, I’ve noticed recently. I’ve now been in Nashville for nine months, the longest I’ve been in any one place (with college and summers in the mix) for the last six years. And, unlike when I was in Oshkosh, I don’t feel the call to move. Rather, I feel called to minister, to be a light, to my small but growing circle.

Biking around here is amazing—the scenery is breathtaking, the weather incredible. I recently wondered, out loud, if non-riders appreciate God’s creation as much as we do. I was shocked at the response from my riding partner at the time. Paraphrased, he said, “I don’t go to church much, but sometimes my wife and I will watch those preachers on TV. Some of them are so big I think they should get out here and ride. They cover it up with big expensive suits, but they still look big, and you could fit three men in the material used for those suits.

“Oh, God,” I prayed, “he’s so lost. And look at the image of You some of these ‘Christian’ preachers are portraying. This is the only image of You he’s seeing now; help me to show You through me in all I do and say.” Thankfully, God is so able and adequate, especially when I question my ability or keep my mouth shut. How do I know but that I have come to this position for such a time as this? (Esther 4:14)

No comments: