Wednesday, May 29, 2013

NC.com Crit #2

18 women starting (source)

We wanted to be aggressive tonight, so Amanda took off just after the start, leaving the other 17 of us in her dust pretty quickly :-) Lisa chased her for a couple laps, but it ended up being a mix of riders (including Lisa and Jess from IAR; Marsha from THR; me, Cath, Anna, and Cali from TBD; and maybe Kathy from SVMIC) together and separated and together again until it was just Amanda off the front with me, Catherine, and Jess behind her chasing. I tried to bridge up to AJ a couple times, but Jess was on me each time and I wasn't able to get to AJ by myself (if I caught her with another person, I was going to force that other person to do all the work to catch her). Catherine was riding super strong and waiting for me a lot, which I appreciated. We maybe got within 25 seconds of AJ before we settled in as the perpetual (at least for tonight) chasers.

Amanda off the front (source)

With one lap to go, Catherine started her leadout as I was getting a drink. Oops! Thankfully she sat up for a second to let me get back on, and then she kept the pace high for much of the rest of that lap. I was behind Jess who was behind Catherine, and I went around both of them on the right. Jess went around Catherine on the left, so I had the outside of both of the last two turns and much less to worry about as we were catching Emily right in those last two corners. Thanks to Cath's leadout, I won that field sprint and Team Bd took 1st, 2nd, and 4th. I also won a prime, which I didn't know until I went to pick up my payout from Kyle. Yay!

Then Anna M, Val, Parri, Cali, Kiki, Catherine, Anna S, Josh, Lisa, and I all headed to Rosepepper Cantina for dinner to celebrate the win and my birthday. Parri made some amazing brownies to add to the good Mexican tacos and veggies.

Race #2: 30:39, 11.31 miles, 22.1 mph, 2/18 and 2/4 Cat 2s
Race #1: 35:36, 12.88 miles, 21.7 mph, 4/14 and 2/3 Cat 2s (incorrect time and mileage because I forgot to stop my watch at the line)

No comments: