Thursday, September 17, 2009

Predators

Today Anna and I went to the Predators game, so I split up my workouts to get everything done.

Take 1: Strength Training
  • 3-minute iso extreme push up on knees
  • 3×3 bent-over barbell row with 55 lb
  • 3-minute iso extreme push up on knees
  • repeat
  • I was definitely focused—did the entire 3 minutes both times, all the while trying to pull into the deepest position possible. In fact, I wished I'd used benches instead of weights for my hands because I felt like I could have gone deeper! Probably could have gone with more weight on the row, and I took about 3 deep breaths between sets.
  • 2-minute iso extreme scapular pull up
  • 3×3 bench press with 65 lb
  • 2-minute iso extreme scapular pull up
  • repeat
  • I still don't know whether I'm doing the scap pull up correctly; hopefully Will can show me next week. I definitely could have gone with more weight on the bench press, and again took about 3 deep breaths between sets.
  • 3-minute standing extreme hamstring
  • 3×3 squat with 55-lb bar
  • 3-minute standing extreme hamstring
  • repeat
  • After hitting my heat on the bar (ouch), I still completed the whole thing. Not sure what I was thinking about besides stretching out my hamstrings and using my glutes for the squats. The goal for all this stuff is always no pacing—go as hard as you can the entire time.
  • 2-minutes each leg 1-leg squat
  • 3×3 glute ham to the top
  • 2-minutes each leg 1-leg squat
  • repeat
  • I had no trouble going to the top of the reps, but I felt like I was not using my hamstrings at all; I don't know what was working. I'll be honest, though, my legs were TIRED after the 8 minutes of 1-leg squat! I think I stumbled (i.e. nearly tripped) no less than 3 times while leaving the Donelson Y)
Take 2: Technique Run
The focus of the run was staying loose: loose fingers, arms, and shoulders, no hunch in shoulders, and a placid facial expression. I ran 20 minutes and then did a few drills (high knees and butt kicks).
  • Totals: 29:11; 3.31 miles; 8:50 pace; 388 calories; 173 HR
  • Warm up: 19:58; 2.50 miles; 8:00 pace; 6:34 best pace; 174 HR
  • Drill 1: 30 seconds; 221 feet; 182 HR
  • Rest 1: 1 minute; 321 feet; 182 HR
  • Drill 2: 30 seconds; 236 feet; 162 HR
  • Rest 2: 1 minute; 289 feet; 166 HR
  • Drill 3: 30 seconds; 321 feet; 163 HR
  • Rest 3: 1 minute; 375 feet; 169 HR
  • Drill 4: 30 seconds; 254 feet; 163 HR
  • Rest 4: 1 minute; 358 feet; 175 HR
  • Cool down: 3:12 (to the end of the trail, then I did 5 after); 0.36 miles; 8:57 pace; 8:07 best pace; 174 HR
Then I headed downtown for the Predators game! I got free tickets and had to pay only for parking. Anna joined me, and although she wasn't too keen on sitting as high as we were, she was definitely a good sport and we enjoyed the game. We were so busy talking that I took 0 pictures, but I do have evidence that I was at least in Sommet Center:

Program, ticket, and parking stub...we were up in row Q of about V rows!

No comments: