Thursday, February 12, 2009

Swim #4; 10xas many as possible

Definitely need to start swimming earlier (and fight for a lane) or start work later (and cut into my afternoon time). I only completed 2,000 of the requisite 2,500 meters. And then I read Bree's blog. Oh, my.
  • 300 warmup
  • 8×50 drill
  • 1×300 @ 40 sec (5:02)
  • 3×200 @ 30 sec (3:31, 3:29, 3:34—fairly consistent!)
  • 1×300 @ 30 sec (5:30—28 seconds slower than the first!)
  • 8×50 drill (I completed 2)
The fun stuff came after work. I started with a 30-min bike to warm up, then it was 10-second manual holds, as many as possible; 2 sets. Lisa was there, so besides talking, we did get a little work done.
  • Lunge: I started with my left leg for the first set and my right leg for the second set. 10-5-6-5. Yeah. Not sure what happened on the first one. Either she wasn't pushing me down hard enough, I wasn't in the deepest position possible, or I just plain wasn't working hard enough.
  • Push up: Will's note said on feet. I didn't see that and did them on my knees. I don't think he realizes how hard these are for me; I can hold and push, but I cannot push all the way up. 5-5.
  • Glute ham: Reps all the way to the top. 15-8. I could have kept going. And going. And I was really focused on keeping my muscles engaged the whole time. And Lisa and I were talking the entire time. So either I wasn't trying hard enough or I'm getting stronger. No manual hold here.
  • Scap pull up: There's no denying: I hate this one. I asked Will about the manual hold, and he said you can have someone holding you at the waist. I said I already take off 50–100 lbs and can still usually only do 3–5. He could not believe it. "30 seconds?" he asked. These are hard! He said fine, do an iso, but hold on. Pretend like you're rock climbing and have to hang on because it's life or death. "You're telling me you couldn't hold on another 10 seconds?" That did not make it any easier; I could hold on for a while, but I CANNOT pull up well. 4-4-3.
And, tonight was supposed to be Inversion (or playing pool with the work crew if I didn't have church), but Mom called so I had to talk to her. That was more important than hearing about Hudson Taylor.

No comments: